Thursday, September 13, 2012

Spooky Spider Picture Frame Re-purpose


$5.00 Frame Makeover

 Today's project puts me one step closer to getting all of my mantel pieces done. I think I got this idea from Pinterest, but when I went through my pins, I couldn't find anything like it, so who knows where I saw it?
 I have had this really outdated frame in my closet for about 2 years now. It is about time to give it new life. This project is super cheap and easy to do. The only thing I had to buy for this was the yarn. I got it on clearance for about $4.50. Score!!!


 When I saw that yarn it just SCREAMED Halloween!!

Here is what you need to complete this super cool spider project:

  • An old frame- preferably wooden. (you could use plastic, but then you would have to glue the yarn to it. That my prove a bit difficult)
  •  Black spray paint (this is optional. You could just use craft paint, but it will go faster with spray paint)
  • Black craft paint- I used both spray paint and craft paint because my spray paint was not glossy.
  • Small nails or tacks- and a hammer and needle nose pliers if you use nails.
  • Yarn of your choice. I used this furry stuff because I thought it was wayy cool and spooky. Any yarn would work.
  • Plastic spider ring.

 (No special reason for this particular spray paint, it's just what I had.)

This is my old frame. I cleaned the wood and took out the glass and matting. When you spray paint outside, make sure it is not humid, or windy. Both of which I can not avoid. I live 15 blocks from the bay= windy, and in Houston= humid. So I paint outside and bring it in the house to dry. Also, if you are spray painting in your driveway, make sure you are not upwind of your car! LOL




 Once your frame is dry, flip it over and nail in your nails. You will need 8. One nail in each corner, and one at the top, bottom, right side and left side. Nail them in far enough so they are not sticking out past the back of the frame so your wall does not get scratched, but not so far that you poke out of the other side.



The easiest way to nail small nails is with needle nose pliers. If you don't use them, you may be able to get the job done, but you will have sore fingers!



Next, make a knotted loop in your yarn. Nothing special, just something that will hook onto the nail.



Hook your loop on a corner nail.



Go across diagonally to the other corner nail.


The next few steps are up to you. If you are one of those people that can look at this and see the path to the least amount of string, go for it. 



 Your end result should be an (x) and a (+)



Tie off your last nail. Make sure the yarn is taught.



Cut off piece of yarn long enough to make the center circle and tie it about half 
way up on one of the strings.



I looped the yarn around each string. 
I didn't tie it to each one because the "hairiness" of my yarn makes it hard to tie :)
 


Repeat for the outer loop.



Then I Gave my frame a final coat of glossy craft paint.



I think the fireplace mantel is coming together nicely!

$ 5.00 Frame Makeover

No comments:

Post a Comment