Monday, September 10, 2012

Salty Treats For The Home

See how Epsom salts can add some real "flavor" to your home decor!

Halloween Wall Hanging

  Halloween is just around the corner, and what better way to start my first blog than with some great, inexpensive Halloween decorations.
 This project cost me about $4 to make. Now, I didn't add in the cost of the Epsom salt, Mod Podge, black paint, scrapbook paper,or the hot glue gun, because I already had them. I know, I know, you are probably thinking "What the... she had to buy those at some point, right?" And you are correct, but when I decide to make something I consider what I have at home.  One of the determining factors before making the project is how much of the stuff I already have, vs. what I will have to buy.


 For this project:
  • Wooden Letters- (I purchased mine in a 2 pack at HOBBY LOBBY they were $2 each, but I used a 40% off coupon on each.)
  •  Ribbon-you need 1 spool (HOBBY LOBBY for about $2 after discount)
  • black craft paint
  • scrapbook paper 
  • mod Podge
  • Epsom salts
  • Hot glue gun
  • Twisty tie (like the kind that comes on bread)

 
 I actually made these letters before I started my blog, so I don't have any pictures of the process, but I will explain all of the important steps!
  • Sand the rough edges of the letters and paint them black.
  • Turn your scrapbook paper upside down, and your letter upside down and trace the letter. This way you can see your tracing, but you don't end up with backward letters!
  • Cut just inside your tracing so the cut outs end up just a bit smaller than your wooden letters. I used a detail craft knife with a self healing mat. If you don't have those, you could use regular scissors. I suggest investing in them though :)
  • Using a paint brush (I like the foam brushes from Walmart $.94 for a 4 pack) coat the back of the scrapbook paper with the Mod Podge and glue it to the wooden letters. I like to let that dry a bit so it doesn't buckle up from the wetness of the Mod Podge.
  • Coat the tops of the letters with the Mod Podge to seal the paper on.
At this point I put my letters away and forgot about them for a few weeks :) That happens to me sometimes. When I drug them back out here is what I did to make the wall hanging...
  • Apply another coat of Mod Podge and sprinkle with Epsom salts. Let that dry
  •  Cut 2,  2 inch pieces of ribbon.
  • Using the hot glue gun connect the bottom of the B to the top of the O and the bottom of the first O to the top of the second O
  • Cut a 3 inch piece of ribbon and connect it to the top of the B
Now if you know a good way to make a bow, go ahead and make one for the top. I have pinned several bow making tips from Pinterest, but I have not gotten around to trying them. For this project I stuck to my old tried and true bow making process that I taught myself about 10 years ago. I will attempt to explain how I do this...
 Start with about 60 inches of ribbon
 At one end, make a loop 
(Please don't mind my blue fingernail, it is not from lack of oxygen! I was wearing teal nail polish last week. Apparently it does not remove easily!)

 Using the long end of the ribbon keep looping it using your thumb to hold it in place.

 I made my bow with 4 loops on each side.

 Here is where the twisty tie comes in. Place it under your thumb.
 (This is the front of the bow)

 Flip it over to the table, but continue to hold the bow together.

 Twisty tie it, then curl up the edges to hide the tie.

 Cut a small piece of ribbon to cover the twisty.

 Hot glue the center together- Don't burn yourself!!!
Sometimes it is better to make this piece extra long, glue it on, then cut off extra.

Flip your bow over, fluff, and you are done! 




Now, back to our wall hanging... We are almost done!

  • Glue your bow to the ribbon atop of your B
  • Make a loop to hang it with about 4 inches of ribbon and glue it to the back of your bow. You are done!!
Hang your project on the wall. or on your door!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your complement! This was my first blog, but I have so many ideas to come. Hope you come back to see what is in store :)
      Thank you
      The Penny Pinching Piddler

      Delete